Sunday, December 12, 2004

Luang Prabang

I've made it to Luang Prabang; the plan is to spend 5 days here and I don't have much planned. The entire city is a UNESCO world heritage site - the architecture and ancient temples have been well cared for. I met a few people at my hostel, so we decided to go out for dinner. I have fried noodles with veggies and a beer lao. After walking around the night market (which consumes 4 blocks of the main street), we sought out L'Etranger - a local bookstore & cafe. We arrived to find a private showing of a local artist. We went in anyways, pretending like we were invited. I wasn't hungry after dinner, but a glass or two of free wine really hit the spot.



One of my goals during this trip is to wake up early enough to see the monks file down the street to gather alms from the townspeople. The monks are not allowed to ask for food, but they are allowed to accept offerings of food (a.k.a. alms). I didn't make it out of bed early enough - I woke up at 6:30. After several nights of mediocre sleep, the travel is starting to take a toll on my delicate body. I haven't shaved in days, my skin is peeling due to sunburn, and I've developed a sore on my right ankle. My sandal has been rubbing away my skin, a slow steady pressure that slowly grates away the cells of skin. I've been hobbling around the streets, because that sore has been filling with puss. I can only hope that it doesn't get infected...


I feel really good about making this trip happen. I'm not nearly as lonely as I was when I was in Europe. Maybe I've become less self-conscious, or more comfortable being alone. All of this time by myself allows me to keep my journal updated, because I believe that I'll appreciate the journal in the years to come. It will be a good source for memories, and maybe some fodder for thought. I have seen true hardship here, and my life is more similar to royalty in comparison. I can't wait to be thankful for everyone I have, and let my family & friends know how much they mean to me.

After lunch, I wandered over to the Mekong River in search of a boat and a driver. I wanted to cross the river to see some of the old temples, and there wasn't another way to cross. When I climbed the hill to the first temple, I saw a building in ruins. Parts of the building were falling apart, but there was still a Buddha inside and offerings of flowers and ashes from previously burned incense. I spent the remainder of the afternoon traipsing through Buddhist temples across the town. I love the architecture and the simplicity of these buildings. The outside are ornate, and the inside is very humble.

This afternoon, I realized that I have another two full days in Luang Prabang. I stopped by an outdoor tour operator, and booked a day of kayaking. I'm excited to get out and exercise; I haven't been doing anything besides walking around and eating.

No comments: